Saturday, September 19, 2015

Left of Center Challenge - Monsters

I am very pleased to announce that I have been accepted as a guest designer at Left of Centre Challenges.  My first project is for Challenge #98 - Monsters.

For this challenge I took a little paper mache book box and painted it black.  While I was tidying up my craft I found a pair of large plastic teddy bear eyes so I decided to use one on the front of the book.



I began by using masking tape to make an eye shape and I wanted the texture because it reminded me of skin crinkling around the eye.



I glued the finished piece on to the book cover using Powertex and then covered the whole thing with black Powertex.  I then glued on some eggshell as I had originally thought I would do a dragon.






However the eye was all wrong for a dragon so I added in some fabric soaked in black Powertex and while this looked OK I was still not 100% happy.  I had some black, grey and white knitting fibre in my stash so I thought that if I soaked it in transparent Powertex it would keep its colour and hopefully look like fur. So I overlaid the black fabric with the fibre and it started to look a little more monsterish.  I just love the texture that the masking tape has given the area around the eye and I painted over the whole area with another layer of Powertex to stop the eggshell crumbling off.






Once the area around the eye had dried I had intended to paint the eggshells and masking tape but I really liked the effect that painting it with Powertex gave it so I left it as it was.

I then covered the rest of the outside of the book box with tissue paper and painted it black and rubbed some Viva Gold copper lightly over the top. 



 Thanks for visiting and please check out the other design team makes over at Left of Centre Creative Challenges and feel free to enter your project into the challenge.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! This is about the coolest thing I've ever seen, Ngaere! Loved the seeing the step by step. What a fabulous outcome. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!! This is about the coolest thing I've ever seen, Ngaere! Loved the seeing the step by step. What a fabulous outcome. xxD

    ReplyDelete